1. Prepare a saline solution with lukewarm water and salt and fill the Neti-pot with the saline water. Do not use hot or cold water but use lukewarm water.
2. Tilt your head to one side and insert the spout of Neti-pot gently into your nostril creating a seal between the neti pot and the nostril. If the water drains out of your mouth, lower your forehead in relation to your chin. Relax. Keep yourself calm to let the water flow right through; otherwise it won't flow right. Keep breathing through your mouth, relaxed, so the water would gently flow through the nose on its own. No need to force it.
3. Raise the Neti-pot slowly to develop a steady flow of saline solution through the upper nostril and out the lower nostril.
4. When you are done, exhale firmly several times to clear the nasal passages.
5. Tilt your head on the other side and repeat the process on the other side.